Providence Health & Services Senior Clinical Data Engineer Data Scientist - in Renton, Washington
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Senior Clinical Data Engineer - Data Scientist - PSJH to our location in Renton, WA; Portland, OR; NorCal, LA or Orange County, CA or Remote.
We are seeking a Senior Clinical Data Engineer- Data Scientist to work independently with all levels of Core Leaders (System, Region, Service Area and Ministry) utilizing his/her advanced coding skills to develop models describing health care processes and phenomena, design advanced data sources, test multiple hypotheses, design challenging visualizations, build applications, use advanced contemporary data science techniques, develop quality assurance processes, provide ongoing mentorship to junior data engineers and facilitate high-impact projects.
Areas of particular focus include measuring Quality and Value of care (i.e. good outcomes per unit cost), optimizing the flow of patients in our hospitals, developing shared decision making tools that allow patients to select a course of therapy optimized for outcomes they value, using natural language processing to identify and summarize key components of a patient’s journey and identifying optimal treatment pathways given a patient’s clinical characteristics. To carry out this work, the Data Scientist will have an opportunity to work with data from 51 hospitals and tens of thousands of physicians housed on a contemporary cloud data platform. There will also likely be opportunities to participate in collaborations with partner healthcare organizations, technology companies and academic institutions.
This position is one of influence within the Clinical Analytics Department, and helps ensure that work produced by the Department is conducted with thoughtful analytical discipline. In doing this, the Data Scientist will support other members of the team through sharing experience with computational methods.
The audience for this position's work is the entire Providence St. Joseph Health system, from members of the Board of Directors to front line caregivers. There will also be opportunities to share work with outside audiences, through scientific publications, participation at national meetings, and commercialization of technology.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
• Clinical Data Expertise: An ideal candidate will have experience working with healthcare data. This background is not a must, as the Clinical Analytics Department includes several physicians, nurses and electronic medical record experts who can support the Data Scientist in sourcing needed data.
• Data Acquisition: Utilizes SQL and non-SQL languages for complex data acquisition
• Data Architecture: Designs advanced data sources, views and summaries and creates functional data architecture
• Data Validation / Accuracy: Develops quality assurance processes; performs data validation; critically evaluates the output of reports to produce reports with a high degree of accuracy
• Reporting / Analysis: Works with clients to develop and iteratively test multiple hypotheses around complex questions; provides strong written summaries of findings; creates presentations that succinctly address and anticipate the questions of the audience; presents findings at national meetings
• Display / Visualization: Performs visualization design; completes challenging visualization projects independently; utilizes good sensibility in visual storytelling
• Mentorship/Training: Provides ongoing analytic and general training to caregivers outside Clinical Analytics and provides regular training and mentorship for Clinical Analytics colleagues
• Data Science: Uses advanced contemporary data science techniques (e.g. machine learning, stochastic modeling) and biostatistics to complete complex projects; experience with natural language processing is ideal.
Required qualifications for this position include:
BA/BS degree in Health Information Management, Computer Science, Mathematics, business administration, healthcare or a related clinical or analytic discipline and/or equivalent edu/experience.
The equivalent of MA/MS degree in Health Information Management, Computer Science, Mathematics, business administration, healthcare or a related clinical or analytic discipline, or Six Sigma Black or other similar designation / certification.
7 years of relevant data analysis.
Experience with database query and analysis languages (e.g. SQL, R, SAS, Python) and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, D3).
Ability to interpret complex statistical data.
Demonstrated ability to define, develop and analyze performance measures and metrics.
Demonstrated project management skills.
Possesses knowledge of healthcare including: Clinical terms and concepts, Administrative Coding, including DRG, ICD, CPT.
Displays a record of self-motivated discovery, intense intellectual curiosity, and a passion for working with data to answer important questions.
Quantitative skills and analytical abilities to interpret complex data for strategic projects and conduct statistical analyses.
Familiarity with database structures, data definitions, and data relationships sufficient to understand and utilize complex data models with multifaceted record relationships, key structures, and record identification schemas.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
• MA/MS degree in Health Information Management, Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, business administration, healthcare or a related clinical or analytic discipline
• 7 years of relevant data analysis, advanced statistical analysis or predictive analytics, ideally in a biomedical setting
About the department you will serve.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Analytics/Business Intelligence
Req ID: 249353